Candy Corn Custards
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 60 mins
11 large egg yolks
Scant ½ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Orange food coloring
Yellow food coloring
- Get immersion circulator setup and start preheating water bath to 175 degrees F. This is a hot temperature for sous vide cooking: don’t forget to place a trivet under your container!
- Arrange 4 half pint sized mason jars with lids in good condition, lids off.
- Whisk together all ingredients except the food colorings and cool whip. Mix until no solid parts of the yolk are visible.
- Pour the mixture into 2 separate bowls. Color one of the mixtures with yellow food coloring until desired color is reached. Repeat with orange in other bowl.
- Pour each of the 2 colors between 2 jars.
- Place the undamaged lids on your jars. Close to "finger tight" (you should be able to easily unscrew with just your fingertips). Drop jars carefully into water. Jars should be completely submerged and you should see small air bubbles escaping the jars. If not, your lid is on too tight.
- Let cook for 1 hour. Remove mason jars to a towel on the counter to cool. Once cool to the touch, place in the refrigerator and let chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, divide the custards evenly, one color at a time in layers, between 5 jars. Top with cool whip for the full candy corn effect.