4 cooked pork chops (from Pork Chops with Mushroom Ragout)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed from stem, plus 2 tbsp chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed from stem, plus 1 tbsp chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 carrots peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- Preheat water bath to 185°F.
- Peel and quarter 4 medium russet potatoes and set aside.
- Peel and dice carrots and onions and also dice celery and parsnips.
- Place potatoes into 1-gallon vacuum seal pouch with oil, rosemary and salt, vacuum seal and put into water bath.
- Place diced carrots, onions, celery, parsnips and thyme into vacuum seal pouch with oil and salt. Then place into a 1-gallon vacuum seal pouch, vacuum seal, then put in water bath.
- Cook both pouches for at least one hour.
- While the potatoes and vegetables are cooking, cut pork chops into small cubes.
- When potatoes and vegetables are done, remove the vegetables first and pour pouch contents into large, broiler-safe baking dish with at least 2-¾ inch depth. Mix in pork chops, 4 cups of chicken stock and flour to thicken. Stir.
- Next remove the potatoes and empty the pouches content into a large mixing bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature and 1/2 cup whole milk and mash potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly on top of the vegetable and pork mixture.
- Broil in oven until potatoes are well browned, which should take 4 to 5 minutes, then serve.