Sous Vide Chocolate Custard
1 cup (180 g) dark chocolate chips
2 cups (500 g) heavy whipping cream
7 egg yolks from large eggs
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
½ tsp (4 g) salt
Whipped cream (optional)
Fresh berries (optional)
- Heat water bath to 115 degrees F (46 degrees C).
- Add chocolate and heavy whipping cream to a disposable zipper top bag. Place in the water bath for 15 minutes to melt chocolate. Massage the bag every few minutes to blend the mixture.
- Remove the bag of chocolate from the water and begin preheating the water bath to 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Add egg yolks to a large bowl. Add sugar and salt to the egg yolks and whisk together.
- Cut the corner off of the bag with the melted chocolate. Squeeze chocolate into bowl with egg yolk mixture and whisk until completely incorporated. Pour the mixture into jars evenly between 5 half pint jars.
- Carefully lower the jars into the bath and cook for 90 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and let cool on the counter for 15 minutes. Refrigerate for 6 hours up to overnight.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and berries if desired.