Sous Vide Yogurt
SERVES: Dependent on amount of milk used
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 5 hours 45 mins
- High quality whole milk
- Yogurt with live, active cultures
- Immersion circulator
- Food scale
- Large jar
- Preheat your water bath to 180 degrees F.
- When your water bath is preheated, set your jar on a scale and make sure it’s zeroed out. Set it to grams. Pour milk until the jar is about 2/3 full. Make a note of how many grams of milk you added.
- Put the lid loosely on the jar and add to the water bath. The water should go past the height of the milk but doesn’t need to cover the top of the jar (it’s okay if it does, though). Cook for 30 minutes at this temp.
- Reduce the heat to 110 degrees F. To speed this up, add ice to the water bath. Once the water bath is 110 degrees F, let the milk sit in the water bath for 15 minutes.
- Multiply the number of grams of milk you added to the jar by .05. This is how many grams of yogurt you need to measure out using the food scale.
- Remove the jar from the water bath and whisk in the yogurt. Return the lid, add back to bath, and cook for 5 hours at 110 degrees F.
- Remove the jar from the water bath and put in your fridge. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until it’s chilled.